Monday, May 25, 2009

Just Fix It


I'm always getting some joke, story, or U-tube video to watch. This last one by Dennis Swanberg about his friend Bengy and his wife's zipper had me and my family rolling in the floor. Mostly because we relate so well. Here's the link to watch it http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqWH-VToohro

But it got me to thinking about how we relate to each other. Especially to those closest to us. In particular at one point in the story the wife tells her husband, "Just fix it ... you have to fix it!" I hate it when there are misunderstandings that can't be "fixed".

While I was traveling home from Alaska last month, I had to use a hotel van to get to and from the airport. Now, I have traveled all over the world and quite a bit in the US. But it's mostly been with my husband and in our car (or truck). But when we've flown, mostly it's been straight to and from some place with no taxi's or vans helping us. So-o-o as I was planning for this trip I decided not to take cash because a credit card would be a lot less hassle.


When I got off the plane I went to the place where they said to wait for the van, which showed up in just about 3 mins, and got in with about 3 other stewardesses. The driver was playing Christians music and it was just a wonderful ride to the hotel. I was so tired after traveling most of the day, so I was just humming along to myself when one of the stewardesses turned around and commented about how nice it was to hear Christian music. We had a very nice chat about that.


Now at this point in the story let me mention that this particular stewardess is oriental / asian and so was the driver. They both had heavy accents. And I am aware that many Christians in foreign countries view Americans as “light-weight” Christians.


So we get out at the hotel. Now remember, I'm beat. It's almost 11 pm which is at least 2 hours past my bedtime. And I notice everyone is tipping the driver .... ugh!!! I'm standing there trying to figure out what to do. I begin sputtering something about being so sorry and I didn't know that I needed to tip, etc. Now the stewardess that was being so friendly suddenly looks at me like I'm some kind of pagan Christian ... you know the kind I'm talking about ... the kind that "says" they are Christian but acts like they're pagan. And the driver is looking at me like he doesn't believe me either. And I'm completely at a loss for words (ok some of you are having a hard time believing that but really ... I was just muttering - stuttering - stammering).


I collect my bags and go to my room, which was just wonderful. It appeared to be such a contradiction in terms. (we actually got the room really cheap on priceline.com) But the appearance was that I was just being cheap ... and cheap to another believer. Ugh!!!


I called my husband and told him the story ... I was so mortified. He was very reassuring and prayed with me. And I was able to sleep well and enjoy the room and the blessings God has given me.


But as I was preparing to leave the next morning, it occurred to me that I would have to go through the whole scenario again ... because remember I have no cash. So I decided to buy something from the restaurant and ask for a couple of dollars extra so I could tip ... nope they don't do that, nor do they do that at the front desk. So it kinda spoiled some of it for me. I SO wanted for my husband to be there so he could "Just Fixit!" for me!


It got me to thinking about how hard it is to overcome a misunderstanding. From the other person's point of view I was just being inconsiderate and selfish. From my point of view, it simply never occurred to me. Some things we just have to leave in God's hands. From now on, I want to be a bit more sensitive to other people when there is a possibility that I might have misunderstood the situation, or something that they did or didn't do.


Even though that stewardess and driver may never really understand what happened to me, my God knows what happened and He promised that all things work together for the good of those who know Him and are called according to His purpose. (Rom 8:28) I’m also grateful that since God is for me (Rom 8:31) then I can trust Him to either speak to them in ways that will help them to understand me or I can trust Him to be my Defender. (Ps 119:54) I’m so glad that even if I’m never understood here on this planet my God is able to "fix" things for me eternally, and "Just Fixit!" or "fix-me" so that I can trust Him to be God ... my God ... the One I love and serve.

No comments: