Sunday, June 14, 2009

Grant Us Wisdom

Grant Us Wisdom
by Barbara Chadwick


Last year at this time Kenneth had served for nine months as interim pastor Canyon Ridge Baptist Church in Bellvue, Colorado. The church called a pastor and he had just arrived. The following is my journal entry for that day:

Last night I was disgruntled and anxious after Praise Team practice. My fingers just wouldn't follow the music!

My thoughts:
- Maybe somebody else should be playing the piano
- We should go somewhere else and give the new pastor (here one week) a chance to get settled
- And what IS God going to do with us now?
- What IS our future going to be?

I fretted all the way home from Bellvue to Crystal Lakes - an hour and 15 minutes

When we got home we had our evening devotion before tumbling into bed. Our devotional book for that time was a book on hymns. Kenneth began to read:

Joshua 1:9
Be bold and strong! Banish fear and doubt! For remember the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

God of grace and God of glory
On Thy people pour Thy power
Crown Thine ancient church's story
Bring her bud to glorious flower
Grant us wisdom
Grant us courage
For the facing of this hour

Set our feet on lofty places
Gird our lives that they may be
Armored with all Christlike graces
In the fight to set men free
Grant us wisom
Grant us courage
That we fail not man nor Thee
by Harry Emerson Fosdick 1873-1969

Lord, I pray that as I remember Your creation, Your mighty acts of deliverance and Your awesome being I will remember that You have the power and desire to grant us wisdom and courage for facing life in retirement.

Soon after that day we got a call from Glacier Valley Baptist Church in Juneau to come and serve as interim pastor. I praise God for His faithfulness.

No comments: