Saturday, September 25, 2010

Are You a Basket Case?
by Barbara Chadwick




"Don't let your worries get the best of you; Remember, Moses started out as a basket case." from Nubiagroup.blogspot.com/

Some of the best things come in a basket:
Nut bread, a collection of teas and cookies, sewing notions, bathing lotions and then of course there's Moses.

I like baskets. There are a myriad of styles, sizes and colors. Michaels store once had baskets on sale at an incredible price and I looked at as many as I could dig out of the bin, but since I couldn't make up my mind I walked away.

I know. You're remembering the issue with the purse and thinking, "She's blonde." But sometimes it's good to walk away. I once heard of a woman who bought 40 light sabers because they were on sale for 1$ each. She had two sons. I was told that every time someone came to visit, the boys would ask, "Hey, do you want a light saber to take home with you?" She should have just walked away.

Well sometimes my worries accumulate. I suppose I should write them down and put them in a basket. Henry Blackaby says in his study, Experiencing God, that worrying is really unbelief. Probably so.

Moses. What an incredible story. Don't you just wish you could have been up there with God watching it all unfold? ...the basket, the burning bush, his question (we could call it his whine), "Couldn't you just send someone else?", the plagues, the parting of the Red Sea, Mt. Sinai and the Ten Commandments, his face as he came down from the mountain after being with God.

Your face. What does it show? Sorrow when the cancer returns. Anger when you've been treated wrong. Unbelief when a friend maligns you. Worry when there's not enough money to last until the next paycheck.

But when you've been with Jesus, then your face glows with the light of His Presence, Peace because He has promised to walk with you and Joy because He has chosen you for His own.

Henry Blackaby says that God develops character to match the assignment. He certainly did that in Moses case. Moses was uncertain, hesitant and sure that he could not speak up. But God took him one step at a time. God was holding the basket. Moses couldn't do it. But God could.

No comments: