Sunday, July 10, 2011

On That Day When Jesus
Calls My Name
By Barbara Chadwick


Is it possible to live your spiritual life using the five senses; see, hear, feel, taste and smell?
We've been cleaning out closets and boxes. I found a list I made a few years ago when I was challenged to live my life using the five senses in a way that would please God.

1. My heart's desire is to be like Jesus
2. To love as He loved
3. To feel the heart of each one I talk to
4. To pray knowing the Father hears me
5. To walk as He walked
6. To be faithful in the things that matter
7. To touch as He touched
8. To know His Word as if He were talking
9. To see the hurts in their eyes
10. To be a pleasing aroma, a fragrant blessing to someone each day
11. To taste and experience life as if He were living through me

If we could live like this would we feel more alive in our hours and days and less like walking dead men?
I have talked with people in this past year who live and speak as if they have no hope, no joy and no peace.
Jesus said, The thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy. I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10

This week one of my nieces died. She was 53.
She believed the lies satan told her – that she was no good, that she had no worth and that no one loved her. She spent her days, that stretched into years, on her couch with alcohol – empty. Empty of hope, empty of joy and empty of peace. Satan stole her joy. He killed her hope. He destroyed her peace. He filled her mind with the hurts and scars until she couldn't focus on the present.  He destroyed her and finally killed her. He is the father of lies.

But Jesus came to give abundant life. He said, If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me... streams of living water will flow from within him. John 7:37

The Gaither Vocal Band sings a song called, I Am Loved. Listen to some of the words:
I said, "If you knew me you wouldn't want me, my scars are hidden by the face I wear."
He said, "My child my scars go deeper and it was love for you that put them there."

Did you memorize John 3:16 as a child as I did?  For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.  How is it that our days pass and we forget about that love? Verse 17 says, For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him. My niece knew that verse. If she had focused on God's words instead of the words of the father of lies her days could have been filled with joy and peace, laughter and light.

Paul says in Philippians 4:4-7, Rejoice in the Lord! …Do not be anxious…but present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Do you remember that song by Wayne Watson, One Day Jesus Will Call My Name?
One day Jesus will call my name. As days go by I hope I don’t stay the same. I want to get so close to Him that it’s no big change, on that day Jesus calls my name.

I DO want to be so close to Christ that there’s no great change on that day when Jesus calls my name.
I want to have the peace of Philippians 4:7, the love of John 3:16, and the abundant life of John 10:10.
I want people to be able to see the five senses in me: the love of Christ in my actions, that my walk matches my talk, that my eyes see their hurt and their scars, that I would be a pleasing aroma to God and to those around me.
I want to walk with Him so faithfully that I can hear His voice and when He calls me I would say, “Yes, Lord,” and step into His presence.

No comments: