Saturday, August 20, 2011

ARE YOU A LIVING SACRIFICE?
by Barbara Chadwick

We recently returned home after a two week trip. A pastor asked if we had had any opportunities to witness on the trip. I answered to him that after many years of witnessing to our brother-in-law it was such a blessing to see him praying, talking about the Lord and helping others in Jesus’ Name.

We do need to be ready to tell someone about the faith within us – to witness to them about God’s great mercy and His love for us. In your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. Do this with gentleness and respect. I Peter 3:15

When we left on our vacation we did not make a plan to intentionally find someone to witness to every day. We both feel like our spiritual gift is not evangelism. But Jesus tells us to be salt and light in the world. (Matthew 5:13-14) However, throughout the next week I kept coming back to the pastor’s question. We began to talk about our trip and the people we encountered and we remembered many little instances of giving a witness of our faith.

To a shopkeeper – Thank you. Have a blessed day
To a hotel clerk – Thank you. God bless you
Praying in restaurants before meals
Singing a Praise song in the bathroom
Participating in an offering to help someone in need

The Old Testament is full of sacrifices. The Israelites had all kinds of sacrifices. In the New Testament Paul tells us: Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:1

Today, we too, can offer many kinds of sacrifices:
- Hebrews 13:15 Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise – the fruit of lips that confess His Name
- Jonah 2:9 But I, with a song of thanksgiving, will sacrifice to You
- Ephesians 5:19b Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ
- Ephesians 5:2 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God
- Ephesians 4:32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving one another, just as Christ forgave you
- Ephesians 5:20 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ

Jesus said in Matthew 5:14, You are the light of the world. And in verse 16, He said, Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

I have never given myself to be a sacrifice for someone else – that is, to die for them. But I have to confess that some days I need to sacrifice my selfish spirit, or my cranky attitude in order to let the Light of Christ shine through me.

I pray that I will go through my days with more intentionality than ever before. I pray that I will:
- Confess His Name
- Sing a song of thanksgiving
- Live a life of Love
- Be kind, compassionate & forgiving
- Submit to others

No comments: