Saturday, November 17, 2012

How Are You Failing to Die?


“How are you failing to die?” My friend Eva was so frustrated when the Siri on her phone texted that message instead of “How are you feeling?” to a friend who had just been in a hit a run accident. In real life we have plenty of opportunities to die but God in His great mercy has numbered our days and so death narrowly misses us.
But when I heard those words it got me to thinking about the words of the apostles in the New Testament:
1 Peter 2:24 He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by His wounds you have been healed.
Colossians 3:10-17 Since you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you will also appear with Him in glory. Put to death therefore whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these things in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator … but Christ is all and is in all. Therefore as God’s chosen people holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love … let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts … you were called to peace and be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in your richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom and as you sing psalms, hymns, spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. Do all … in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
So I ask myself … “How are you failing to die?” or rather, in view of God’s great mercies “Why are you failing to die? Are God’s kindnesses not good enough for you? Was His death for you not enough? Is the life you have in Him not exciting enough? Do you really need your old self? When you reach the end of your days will you be happy with what you’ve done? Will you be satisfied with the words and actions you kept and the ones you gave away?”
Oh God, please forgive me. Make me aware of the areas in my life where I’m not dying to myself; where I’m not living for you. Purify my heart, make it ever true; purify my heart may I be like You! Oh grant that the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart would be acceptable and pleasing to You, O God, my Lord and my Redeemer. Help me to NOT fail to die!

No comments: