Saturday, January 19, 2013

OVERFLOW

by Barbara Chadwick



Matthew 12:34  For the mouth speaks from the overflow of the heart.
You are known by what kinds of words come out of your mouth. When someone thinks of you, the picture that comes to their mind is framed by the kinds of words you have used in their presence.

A former pastor would tell about a situation then say, “And it’s only going to get worse.”  He loved people but his words did not encourage. A woman at the ladies’ Bible study cannot seem to talk without being critical. A critical spirit brings death. We have a nephew who often uses curse words. This doesn’t bless anyone. He works with people who use these words all the time. I believe the saying goes, “Garbage in, garbage out”

Recently my son, Kerry, said, “It is so important to memorize Bible verses. Then you always have scripture with you.” Psalm 19:14 says,  Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Every morning my husband, Kenneth, plays, “More Love to Thee, O Christ”, on his harmonica as part of his devotional. Putting your attention on the Lord first thing in the morning is an effective way to guard your heart, and the more we love Christ the more likely the words that come out of our mouth will be acceptable to Him.

The words of the song, “Wonderful Words of Life” come to mind:

     Sing them over again to me, wonderful words of life.
     Let me more of their beauty see, wonderful words of life.
     Words of life and beauty teach me faith and duty.
     Beautiful words, wonderful words,
     Wonderful words of life.   

Words of faith give life. Encouraging words give life. Words offered in love give life.
Lord Jesus help me to offer life, not death and a blessing, not a curse, from what comes out of my mouth.

No comments: