Saturday, May 4, 2013


GOD CAN’T BLESS NOTHING
by Barbara Chadwick

 

 Every night before we go to sleep Kenneth takes my hand and says, “I love you, Barbara.” Last night he added, “You are the best wife anyone could have.”  (That was so sweet!)
I responded, “How do you know? You’ve never had any other?”

“You don’t have to have Chocolate Mousse to know you like Banana Puddin’!”  (Even sweeter – Banana Puddin’ is his favorite dessert!”

Kenneth was born and raised in the hills of Arkansas and he has a plethora of wise sayings.
          “God can’t bless nothing.”  is one of them.
          “Don’t doubt in the dark what God has revealed in the light.” is another.

The acrostic LORD shows how we can do something – not “Nothing” for God to bless:

Love - Love the Lord, your God with all your heart, soul and mind.  Matthew 22:37 
If you love the Lord you will want to be doing those things that please Him. When you are doing “nothing” you are loving something else more than Him.

Obedience - “God can’t bless nothing.”  Whatever gift God has given you, do it in His name and He will bless it.  We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully. Romans 12:6-8

Response“I love You, Lord, and I lift my voice to worship You. O my soul rejoice! Take joy, my King, in what You hear; may it be a sweet, sweet sound in Your ear.”  Written by Laurie Klein

 This morning I woke up in a snit. I didn’t want to talk. I didn’t want to make pancakes. I sure didn’t want to smile.  After breakfast I sat down to read my devotional for the day and realized my attitude was stinking.  I began to sing, “Change my heart, O God. Make it ever new. Change my heart, O God. May I be like You. You are the Potter. I am the clay. Mold me and make me. This is what I say. Change my heart, O God. Make it ever new. Change my heart, O God. May I be like You.” Written by Eddie Espinosa

So our response should be: “I love you Lord,”  “Change my heart, O God” and finally, “Yes, Lord” to which this song by Matt Redman speaks: [Lyrics from:http://www.lyricsty.com/matt-redman-trading-my-sorrows-yes-lord-lyrics.html ]
I'm trading my sorrows, I'm trading my shame. I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord
I'm trading my sickness, I'm trading my pain. I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

We say yes Lord, yes Lord, yes,yes Lord
Yes Lord, yes Lord, yes, yes Lord
Yes Lord, yes Lord yes, yes Lord, Amen

I'm pressed but not crushed, persecuted but not abandoned, Struck down but not destroyed
I am blessed beyond the curse for His promise will endure; That His joy's gonna be my strength
Though the sorrow may last for the night, His joy comes with the morning

Devotion“Don’t doubt in the dark what God has revealed in the light.”
… that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord. 1Corinthians 7:35  I have often heard people say, “I can’t believe I thought that God called me to;” preach, lead, serve or whatever. “He hasn’t put me in any place where I can do that.” 

Continue to do whatever God places in front of you. Be devoted to Him. Be faithful to the task and He will use you in ways you never dreamed of. However, don’t do “nothing” because you will be led away from the Lord – away from your devotion to Him.
But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 2 Corinthians 11:3 

So DO SOMETHING so that God can bless it!

No comments: