Sunday, August 17, 2008

Last Night

by Barbara Chadwick

Last night I was disgruntled after praise team practice. My thoughts went:
- maybe somebody else should be playing the piano
- we should go somewhere else and give the new pastor (here one week) a chance to make his place in the church
- and what IS God going to do with us now?
- what IS our future going to be?

I fretted all the way home from Bellvue to Crystal Lakes - an hour and 15 minutes. When we got home Kenneth began to read from our nightly devotional book - a book on hymns - "God of grace and God of glory"

God of grace and God of glory, on Thy people pour Thy power
then the last words of each verse are:
Grant us wisdom, Grant us courage
For the facing of this hour, For the facing of this hour.

the second verse says:
Set our feet on lofty places, Gird our lives that they may be
Armored with all Christlike graces, I the fight to set men free
Grant us wisdom, Grant us courage
That we fail not man nor Thee, That we fail not man nor Thee

The scripture for the evening was Joshua 1:9 "Be bold and strong! Banish fear and doubt! Remember, the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

I just started laughing! What an immediate response to my disgruntledness! Praise God! He cares about how we feel.

Lord, I pray that as I remember Your creation, Your mighty acts of deliverance from the Red Sea to the present, and Your Awesome Being, I will remember that You have the desire to care for us and the power to grant us wisdom and courage for the facing of this hour and into old age. Thank You for Your Love and the grace You put into our lives. Amen

No comments: