Wednesday, February 13, 2008

LOVE IS . . .


by Barbara Chadwick

Thursday of this week is Valentine’s Day. Kenneth always does something nice. He brings flowers or candy, takes me out to eat and gives me a beautiful card. However, when we first got married 50 years ago he didn’t even know the month of February had a day dedicated to love! He has grown in so many ways.

One of Kenneth’s favorite quotes is, “Love is an incircumrotary pit-a-pat upon the suffocation of the heart that causes a complete oblivion of the intra-ramotus.” It certainly describes that ooey-gooey feeling you first have for someone.

Paul says in I Corinthians 13:4-5, “Love is patient. Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.There were a lot of times when my love was not patient nor was it kind. There were times when I was a whole lot more interested in myself than in him. Also, I can’t tell you how many times I brought up a vast “record of wrongs.” I, too, have grown a lot! I make his favorite dessert and give him a card.It was by the grace of God that we both grew and persevered. There is a quote by Judith Viorst in the March issue of Reader’s Digest that says, “One advantage of marriage is that when you fall out of love with him or he falls out of love with you, it keeps you together until you fall in love again.”The biblical concept of love is that it is a 365 - 24/7 thing. Love is an action not an emotion. In this “love chapter” of I Corinthians Paul says “if you do not have love, you have nothing!”

So, this week do something extra for the love of your life. Something he will recognize as a gesture of love.

No comments: