Thursday, February 14, 2008

V-Day Romance

by Audrey Wauson

My husband is what you might call sporadically romantic. He doesn’t consistently send flowers or cards, nor is he a guy who tells me all kinds of wonderful sweet gushy stuff. But he does show, prove, demonstrate his love by his actions. First of all he’s never left me. Second, he has been oh so very faithful to me. Third, he does these random incredibly romantic things that always catch me off guard. I mean I get to thinking the guy simply doesn’t have one romantic bone in his body and then …Then in 2002, he plans this Valentine’s Day retreat. Knowing how social I am, he told me that he planned this really great V-Day retreat for us. He said he’d made plans for just the two of us to go camping … at Lake Brownwood … in February … (what in the world was he thinking?) He said he was taking his fishing gear and camping gear and that I should bring casual clothes and probably something to do while he was fishing … I was really trying to think positive thoughts. I mean he was so eager and excited…but all I could think of was, “Wow, this is his idea of a great get-a-way for two?” I’m having to say that I was really talking to God about just how extensive his brain surgery was (melanoma tumor 1997), and whether or not I should pop his bubble and explain to him that this wasn’t my idea of a great time. But I decided to just keep my mouth shut and enjoy what I could about the weekend.


I’m so glad I did because unbeknownst to me he had talked to the husbands of three of my friends and they went in together and rented these cabins at the lake. When Larry and I arrived, I noticed that he was acting a little bit strange, but this whole plan was strange to me. Then I heard some honking and cars driving up. (Larry and my friend’s husbands had each rented cabins next to each other.) So here were my closest friends and their husbands there at the lake with us! I was so surprised! We never used the tents and he never went fishing! We had the most amazing weekend and made some of the very best memories. It was awesome. It even snowed in Texas that weekend! He had really out-done himself to plan such an exciting weekend for me.

God is like that. He’s always faithful. He always loves us. But sometimes He just does things that are so beyond are imaging that it just takes our breath away. Please know this Valentine’s Day that you are a beautiful creation of God and He just delights to be with you. He longs to spend time with you. And He is at the very moment making plans for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Happy Valentine’s Day!

No comments: