Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Baby - A Work of Art by Barbara Chadwick


I have a granddaughter and a grandson and his wife who are expecting babies next month.


Is there anything more precious than a new baby?


All the months of waiting are over and the baby arrives. A brand new creature with a personality all it's very own makes it's place in the family. There is not another being on earth just like this one. This is amazing! We cannot really comprehend it.


When my first baby arrived I couldn't get enough of watching her; watching her stretch, watching her little arms and legs wiggle and move, examining her fingers and toes, arranging her hair into a curl, then brushing it over. The first days, then weeks and months flew by and each new and different thing she did was a marvel to me. Then with each of the other three babies we had I went through the same thing all over again.


David talks about this in Psalms 139:13-17, "For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful. I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!"


To realize, first of all, that God created this being that so delights us and then to know that He has ordained all the days of this precious little one, that all its days were written down before this one even appeared to us, "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain." Ps. 139:6


When our children are born to us and we realize the enormity of the responsibility we can ask God for help. We can place them in God's hands and ask Him to work out his plan for them in the days of their lives. Psalms 138 verse 8 reads, "The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me. Your love, O Lord, endures forever - do not abandon the works of Your hand."


In Philippians 1 verse 6 we are told, "Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." So not only do we ask God not to abandon this precious work of His hands but we have the assurance that the One who began a good work will complete it.

No comments: