Sunday, August 2, 2009

Love COSTS

School is starting soon … in just a week for me. There’s still so much for me to get done; Things here at the house that I want organized so that it will make things easier once school’s in; Lesson plans to write; Meals to figure out. Perhaps you also are going to have a busy year. Let’s don’t forget the most important things in the middle of our busy-ness. Here is an excerpt from a letter I wrote about a time, an incredibly busy time, in my life. I hope you are encouraged to focus on the really important things of life … during the busy times.

God Bless You,

Audrey


A letter to one of my sons:

Son,

Today I wonder if you would to take some time to reflect on what and who God has made you to be. I’m praying that you will let nothing break your focus and concentration on following Him, no matter what. Ask God to search your heart for any roots of bitterness or discontent and remove them from you, especially in regards to the church where you are serving, and in regards to your family …because everything is at stake.

The world will know we are Christians by our love for one another. Loves covers offenses, love obeys the Lord wholeheartedly, love serves others, love does its very best, love sacrifices for others. Love costs everything. God is love … and He tells us to “love Him with all our heart, mind, and strength,” and to “love one another deeply from the heart.”

This world that we live in is spiraling down quickly. And few indeed are the men who know enough about God to lead. Please, I urge you to be careful how you spend your time and who you spend it with. Be careful what you are thinking because out of the mouth spring the issues of the heart. Most especially … guard your heart … guard the places that you let your mind wander to … the sights that you let your eyes see … “for as a man thinketh in his heart … so is he.”


These are the commands, decrees and laws the LORD your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the LORD your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life. Hear, O Israel (your name), and be careful to obey so that it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the LORD, the God of your fathers, promised you. Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Deuteronomy 6:1-6


One of our most dangerous enemies is complacency.


Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God,
failing to observe his commands,
his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day.
Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied,
when you build fine houses and settle down,
and when your herds and flocks grow large
and your silver and gold increase
and all you have is multiplied,
then your heart will become proud
and you will forget the LORD your God,
who brought you out of Egypt,
out of the land of slavery.
Deuteronomy 8: 12-14

I’m grateful beyond words for what the Lord has done in your life and what He continues to do. It fills me with such joy that you desire to serve Him. And although it costs me (I miss you) I am blessed to know that you are and will be serving Him … no matter where. I’m so grateful to God that He has promised to give you everything that you need to live a life of godliness and power.


Love,

Mom

No comments: