Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Perfect Church


So I’m dreaming of the perfect church. I know exactly what it would look like. There would be lots of people who are excited about learning more and more about Jesus. These same people would be talking to each other every day and inviting one another over to each other’s houses and going to each other’s kid’s games and performances. They would be sharing their “stuff” (possessions and well as issues) with one another. They would be serving their community; volunteering at the hospital, cleaning up their neighborhoods and the poorer neighborhoods, babysitting the children of single moms, using their knowledge to help people in shelters get back on their feet, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, helping the poor and needy. They would be praying for their country’s leaders, from their local mayor to the White House. They would be impacting the world with their love for one another.

I’m dreaming about this church because the one I attend and the ones I’ve attended before are not quite like that. I’m tired of the time we spend complaining and arguing. I’m annoyed with our “ontological lightness” … the inability to focus on God and the things of God. And so far that’s just problems with ME! I want to dump church as I know it and start over.

In the book Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, in the chapter “HOPE” he writes:

The Christian Way - …Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exist …

Now that’s what I’m talking about! I want the satisfaction of being a part of the perfect church! Imagine with me how wonderful that would be … We would feel a part of something grand, glorious, and noble. We would be impacting our community with real and tangible proofs of God’s love. People would know that we are Christians because of the way that we love one another.

Is my want-er broke? Will I ever experience this church … ???

If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy,

the most probably explanation is that …

are you ready for this?

I was made for another world.

I knew it! That explains everything! I don’t fit in … I don’t feel comfortable … because I don’t belong here! I’m just traveling through. I’m in a foreign country and not only do the natives not speak my language, I can barely understand my traveling companions.

Have you ever traveled anywhere? Don’t you just love it when the people you’re traveling with … usually the kids start it … the adults just say it in their heads: “Are we there yet?” “How much farther?” “He’s touching me!” “Make her stop!”

Anyways, my point is … there’s nothing wrong with my desires, dreams, hopes. In fact, they are God-given tidbits of heaven … things I can work toward and try to inspire in others. However, I’m striving to recognize that God has placed in others … different kinds of tidbits of heaven. I’ve decided to trust that the Jesus in me … who is raising me up to be like Him … is the same Jesus in them.

So this Sunday when I go to church, instead of looking, and finding, all of the things that are different and annoying and irritating, I plan on looking for the tidbits of heaven that He’s placed in the people around me. I plan on celebrating the fact that we’ve made it … a bit farther in our journey towards heaven … we’re almost there! And He’s waiting for us and when we arrive everything will be just perfect … just like He promised.

Then a voice came from the throne, saying:

“Praise our God,

all you his servants,

you who fear him,

both small and great!”

Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting:

“Hallelujah!

For our Lord God Almighty reigns.

Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory!

For the wedding of the Lamb has come,

And his bride has made herself ready.

Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear.”

(Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.)

Revelation 19:5-8

No comments: