Sunday, October 25, 2009


Tag You’re It!

At my school, I’m the new teacher which is lots of fun. I’m blessed to be able to teach both the middle school and high school choirs. So I’m just a part-time teacher, which leaves me time to help take care of the grandbabies and do some music writing.

The other day one of my new teacher friends told me something along the lines of “I just want you to know that we’re relying on you to help keep us fresh and new. We’ve been teaching here so long and we’ve gotten into a complaining rut and we need someone to dig us out. Just letting you know that you are it.” I was tagged!

Have you ever played that game? The person who is “it” has to run around trying to catch someone else so that they can be “it” and you’re off the hook, then you just have to stay away from the person who is doing the tagging. I always kinda liked to get tagged. I guess it just felt more purposeful or meaningful than just running away. But I also got really frustrated when I couldn’t “tag” someone after awhile.

I think that sometimes we do that with new believers, or new-to-us Christians in our circle. They see things from a fresh perspective and it reminds us of our “first love” with Christ, which is great as long as we don’t get into the rut of running away and never being “it”.

You see we each of us has something that God wants for us to “tag” another person with. Only the game as God sees it, is that the “tagger” never really gets to stop tagging. The rule in His game is that you “tag” someone and keep to keep on “tagging” as many people as you can. And if someone “tags” you with a new message or insight or encouragement, then you just have more stuff that you can use to “tag” others with.

Actually the Bible calls it encouragement. So I encourage you to “tag” someone today with a fresh insight, a fresh reminder of God’s grace and mercy and hope. Here’s some verses to help you get started.

  • When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours. Romans 1:12
  • If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly. Romans 12:8
  • Dear brothers and sisters, I close my letter with these last words: Be joyful. Grow to maturity. Encourage each other. Live in harmony and peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you. 2 Corinthians 13:11
  • I have sent him to you for this very purpose--to let you know how we are doing and to encourage you. Ephesians 6:22
  • So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:11
  • Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching. 2 Timothy 4:2
  • And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of His return is drawing near. Hebrews 10:25
  • I have written and sent this short letter to you with the help of Silas, whom I commend to you as a faithful brother. My purpose in writing is to encourage you and assure you that what you are experiencing is truly part of God's grace for you. Stand firm in this grace. 1 Peter 5:12

No comments: