Saturday, December 5, 2009


God's Wife
by Barbara Chadwick


We visited with four-year-old Alex last week. We went actually to visit her parents, James and Jesse (This really is the mother's name!) but Alex was the center of attention and conversation.

She showed me all her toys and all her baby sister's toys. She took me into her bedroom so I could see and admire her new "big girl" bed and pictures on the wall. She raised the blinds on the window. It was sort of frosty so she started to play tic tac toe. She asked me to play with her so since she already had an X, I drew an O. She jumped up and down and said I'm going to block you so she put an X over my O!

Her mother, Jesse, later told me that they were in the car a few days ago. Alex, in the back seat, said, "Mom! You won't believe this! I'm playing tic tac toe with myself and I'm winning every time!"

Wouldn't that be something if we could do that in life?! But the fact is we can't do anything really in our own strength. It is only in God's strength that we accomplish anything worthwhile.

Well, when Alex became busy with something else during our visit, Jesse sat beside me and said I want to tell you what Alex said this week. We were driving home from school and Alex tells me from the back seat,

"God's wife is so pretty."

"Is she?" Jesse asked

"Yes, she's so pretty."

"Where did you see God's wife?"

"At church, of course, she's married to our pastor!"

I laughed delightedly and said, "That's the sweetest thing anyone ever said to me." What an awesome thought but I can barely live up to being the wife of the pastor!!

Don't you love how a little child's mind works?

Mar 10:15 "I assure you: Whoever does not welcome the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

Alex is always telling Jesse and James, "You know, Jesus loves us."

It's simple in her mind. Everything in the world belongs to God and He loves us.

No comments: