Sunday, March 14, 2010

They Go To Church


Melissa came to Juneau to have her baby delivered. There is no one to deliver babies in her village in Alaska. She brought her boys, ages five and seven.

After they were settled in with the family where they are staying to wait on the baby. Melissa told the boys they would go to church with this family on Sunday. Five year old Jimmy's eyes got really big and he said in awe, "They go to church in Juneau?!" He was delighted and excited that even here in Juneau he could go to church.

Don't you just love a child's simple delight?

David said in Psalms 122:1, I was glad when they said unto me, "Let us go into the house of the Lord." and in verse 4: That is where the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord, to praise the name of the Lord.

Have you had the experience of encountering a fellow believer in a strange place? Do you know that feeling of comraderie; that feeling of shared hope and the communion of love and grace that comes with the fellowship of the saints?

I remember being delighted when we met a fellow believer in a shop in Panama when we were on a cruise. An unexpected encounter like that can fill your heart to overflowing.

Paul writes to Philemon, To Philemon our dear friend and fellow worker, to Apphia, our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier and to the church that meets in your home:

Grace and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints. Philemon 1-5

No comments: