Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Year
by Barbara Chadwick



Wow! A brand new year. A year to travel, play, learn, grow (hopefully not wider!) but grow in Christ. - in knowledge of Him and experience with Him.

Kenneth just read to me that to lose a pound a week I would have to eat 400 less calories PER DAY! In addition to that fact is the knowledge that it takes 100 calories to walk one mile. So just think, if I would walk four miles a day that would take care of that 400 calories!! Hmmm, that might not happen every day. Actually, that might not happen ANY day!

Another topic of discussion this New Year's Day was the old wive's tale that whatever you do on New Year's Day is how the year will go. So this year should be filled with Turkish Delight kinds of things because I made Pumpkin Pie and Kenneth made Peanut Butter Fudge with sugar free marshmallows he made. We might have to buy another journal just to log in all the calories we'll have!


Well, I was thinking that I really don't want to major on desserts this year. I'd really like to accomplish something - something significant, something of value.


What would you like to accomplish this year? You could:

  • learn a new language
  • study to play the harp (or any other instrument)
  • build a house
  • complete a year of study into getting an advanced degree
  • take tennis lessons
  • travel to a third world country and minister in Jesus' Name

Or you could minister in Jesus Name in your own country. I know a lady who delivers "Meals on Wheels" That is, she takes a noon meal to shut-ins (people who can't leave their homes) She delivers it with a smile, a hug or a pat and a few minutes of positive conversation.

We visit a lady in a rest home each week. We talk and pray with her. She tells that our visit encourages her. A group of people from our church go to the Pioneer Home once each month and lead the people in singing their favorite songs then serve Birthday cake and ice cream. They love it.

Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. I John 3:18

Henry Blackaby says we should stay alert to what God is doing around us and join Him. I like that. However, so often I'm more dull than alert! I pray that God will nudge us all when He has words for us to say, love for us to show, meals for us to give and smiles for us to share.

No comments: