Sunday, February 27, 2011


"Ladies and gentlemen we have begun our descent, please bring your seats into their upright and locked positions and make sure your tray tables are fastened and your electronic devices are turned off."

I was reading, Decision Points by George W. Bush. I recommend it by the way. He talks about some key decisions he made, turning points, actually. Three important decisions were

  1. to marry Laura - of which he says, "Thankfully I had the good sense to recognize it was the best decision of my life.”
  2. to stop drinking - he says none of the other things that happened in his life would have come about without this decision.
  3. and to put his faith and trust in the Lord, Jesus Christ.

He had been thinking that putting one's faith in God was a good way for self-improvement but Billy Graham pointed out to him on a walk at Camp David when his father was president) that

"Self-improvement is not really the point of the Bible... The center of Christianity is not the self. It is Christ. Billy explained that we are all sinners, and that we cannot earn God's love through good deeds. He made clear that the path to salvation is through the grace of God and the way to find that grace is to embrace Christ as the risen Lord - the son of a God so powerful and loving that He gave his only Son to conquer death and defeat sin....Surrendering yourself to an Almighty is a challenge to the ego. ...As I deepened my understanding of Christ, I came closer to my original goal of being a better person - not because I was racking up points on the positive side of the heavenly ledger, but because I was moved by God's love."

I turned off my Kindle and put it in my purse. My seat mate turned off her computer and stowed it away; but she got out a notebook and continued writing. I glanced down at her work and read, "when good decisions are made" and it got me to thinking...

Sometimes we make decisions without thinking about the impact it will have on the rest of our life, like speeding, or an angry retort to a boss, or an indiscreet alliance. A poor decision can have disastrous consequences at a later time. Oftentimes our decisions reflect our self-serving natures. Once in a while we pray and ask God for direction. He shows us a better way.

When I was seven I gave my heart to Christ. When I was thirteen I decided to spend my life in mission service. When I was fifteen I made the decision to marry a man who also loved the Lord and had a desire to serve Him. These decisions have made a difference in every situation in my life.

Leviticus 18:3 says: Do not act like the people around you. You must not imitate their way of life. and verse 5, If you obey my decrees and my regulations you will find life through them. I am the Lord.

There is life in following the Lord. There is also love and forgiveness, grace and peace. Death and emptiness await those who live in sin and desire only to please self.

If any of you wants to be my follower you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross and follow me. Matthew 8:34b

Look at these words to Tom Booth's song, I Will Choose Christ (1991)

Verse 1

How many times must He call my name

and show me that He is God?

And as a servant He calls to me

you must serve too.

Verse 2

Christ my teacher and healer

teach my heart and heal my soul

And as I walk this road with you

teach me to love.

Verse 3

As I look upon Your cross

so too must I die with You

And with the death of my own desires

I'll rise with joy.

Refrain:

I will choose Christ

I will choose love. I choose to serve.

I give my heart, I give my life,

I give my all to You.

If good decisions are made you will find life through them!

No comments: