Sunday, February 13, 2011

No Reference Needed
by Barbara Chadwick



A lady recently asked me to give a reference for her for a job interview. The problem for me was that I didn’t know her very well. What could I say about her? She’s pretty, she wants to please, she cares about her family – all commendable things in a woman. But the other part is she does not show up to meetings, she has an anger problem and she sometimes does things haphazardly. What could I say that would help her get a job?

A Human Resources Director for a company wants to know if you are reliable - will you show up for work at the appointed time and work the stated hours? Are you conscientious? - do you try to do your best? Are you trustworthy? - can you be trusted to do your work and care for your workspace? Are you considerate? – do you treat others with respect? Are you presentable? – do you care about your appearance? These are all human approaches to how to do life.

But all of this got me to thinking. What if I asked Jesus to give a reference for me to take to heaven. I know, I know. God already knows everything about us. Even the very hairs on our heads are numbered. (Luke 12:7) He knows when we rise and when we lie down and He knows our thoughts. But what if I approached Jesus like this:

Me: Jesus will You represent me to God?
Jesus: Can you show me any evidence that would help?
Me: Well, I read my Bible every day unless I have too many other things to do.
Jesus: Hmm.
Me: I go to church every Sunday morning and evening and Wednesday.
Jesus: Yes….
Me: I have a picture of an angel on my bedroom wall.
Jesus smiles.
Me:
Remember that I took food to that family after the funeral?
Jesus: That was nice.

This approach won’t work. This is the way we humans look at things but, we can’t justify ourselves to Him. Psalms 51:17 says, You do not delight in sacrifice…you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken and contrite spirit. Isaiah 64:6 says, All our righteous acts are like filthy rags to Him.

So just, confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.(Romans 10:9) Then talk with Him daily (Pray) and learn about Him daily (Read the Bible) and use the talents He has blessed you with (Serve Him).

When we enter heaven Jesus will take us by the hand and bring us into the presence of Almighty God. He will say to the Father, “Here is Barbara (or put your name here) I bring her to you. She is mine. She has served me faithfully. It is true that there were times when she was not perfect but I have washed her clean by my blood.” (Romans 5:8)

No comments: