Saturday, May 7, 2011

In This Life Something Happened!

By Barbara Chadwick



On a walk in San Pedro, California my husband and I saw several plaques that described something historic that happened there then we passed a driveway with this plaque in the cement, “On this site in 1897 nothing happened.”

Kenneth said, “That statement would make a good introduction to a sermon.” I asked, “How would you develop that?”

“I’d start with that statement then say, What if you got to the end of your life and someone put the words on your tombstone – In this life nothing happened.”  That would be a sad statement indeed.

My 93 year-old mother is living her last days. My daughter called and asked me to ask her grandmother, “Is there anything you would like your grandchildren to know?”

When I posed the question to mother she replied, “Tell them, Old age gets here quicker than you think, and it’s not as bad as you think it will be.” Then after breathing a few deep breaths, “Tell them to make a lot of sweet memories.”

In the past few weeks she has talked about how gratifying it had been to serve the Lord throughout her life and how she had loved every bit of it. She remembered life with our Dad and how wonderful that had been. She related that her best accomplishment had been having five beautiful children. She didn’t talk about accomplishments . . .

- Getting a GED

- Owning her own Beauty Salon

- Being the Director of a Baptist Concern Center

- Being the Girls Auxiliary Director for a State Convention

- Finishing a Writing Course

Her example was to be a blessing to others. Her hospitality reached out to hundreds of people. Her love was poured out on one person after another, year after year. In her life so many beautiful things happened!

When I sing Make Me A Blessing by Ira B. Wilson I think of my mother:
Verse 1
Out in the highways and byways of life, many are weary and sad;
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife, making the sorrowing glad.
Verse 2
Tell the sweet story of Christ and His love. Tell of His power to forgive.
Others will trust Him if only you prove true every moment you live.
Verse 3
Give as ‘twas given to you in your need. Love as the Master loved you.
Be to the helpless a helper indeed. Unto your mission be true.
Refrain:
Make me a blessing. Make me a blessing. Out of my life may Jesus shine.
Make me a blessing O Savior I pray. Make me a blessing to someone today.

1 comment:

robert said...

Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. Your blog caught my eye because I posted an article on Ira Wilson's "Make Me a Blessing" today.

That's a thought provoking claim that on this date nothing happened. For some reason it reminded me of what the Bible says about King Jehoram. He reigned eight years, and then "to no one's sorrow, departed" (II Chron. 21:20).

How sad, when you die, to have folks shrug and say, "Who cares. What did he/she ever do, anyway." In contrast, we have the Lord's lovely comment about Mary of Bethany, "She has done what she could" (Mk. 14:8), and will be remembered down the generations because of it. (Sounds like your grandmother.) God bless.