Sunday, September 11, 2011

Were You Ready?

When did you hear about it? Where were you? What were you doing? Who were you with? All of our hearts were calling out WHY???

I wasn’t ready. I was in a middle school classroom interpreting an art class for a deaf girl and there just weren’t spoken words much less signed words to explain what was happening. We saw the second plane crash into the second tower and I remember my student tugging on me asking me what was happening and why were bad people doing this … and I just didn’t know what to say … stunned silence … really and truly my mind just kept trying to make sense of it all … and it just didn’t make sense.

Today, ten years later, it occurs to me that the day of disaster is not the day to prepare. Sunday, December 26th it was too late to prepare for the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami. Monday, August 29th it was too late to prepare for Katrina.

What about illnesses? The Great Influenza, The Black Plague, Aids, Malaria, Typhoid, Cholora, … there is NO getting away from disasters. Disasters affect us physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually. In Revelations we read that they, disasters, will come but will we be ready? Because really truly ONLY God can help us now. What IF you call on Jesus?

Is there life insurance? I mean real life insurance? Popular Mechanics .com lists what they consider to be the next 5 possible disasters to hit the US and has a list of things you need in case of a disaster … but most of the disasters mentioned above would only be useful if you weren’t right in the middle of the disaster.

The truth is there will be wars and rumors of wars, there will be natural disasters and man-made disasters and if you continue to live you will have to live through them or die because of them. So …

What do you need to be prepared spiritually for disaster?

· You need to know that you need a Savior

And there is ONLY ONE … His name is Jesus! I encourage you to seek His face while He may be found. Tomorrow … literally … it may be too late.

No comments: