Saturday, August 18, 2012


WHAT ARE YOU DOING
IN THE KINGDOM?
By Barbara Chadwick



“I wish I could have known Kathy’s dad. He could have taught me so much. I never had any training and he was a master mechanic.”  Danny’s ability to fix automobiles was limited but he’s a great leader and God has also gifted him musically.

I said, “I know what you mean about training. I wish I could have had training with a master chef. I love cooking. It’s a hobby for me but I‘ve often wished to do really fancy things.”  But God has chosen to gift me in music and I’ve been told that I’m an encourager.

On the way home from Danny and Kathy’s house I heard a preacher say on the radio, “What are you doing in the Kingdom?”

Then I thought about some people I know who could be such a blessing to others, to the church and to God’s Kingdom if only they would step up and do it.

God has gifted each person in a unique way. Paul, that great New Testament teacher wrote, We have different gifts, according to the grace given us…If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously, if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.  (Romans 12:6-8)   There’s a place for everyone to contribute in the church.  Not only are other people blessed when you do the work God has placed in front of you, but you, yourself, are blessed when you do.

Sometimes we would like to contribute in a way in which we weren’t gifted.  I would love to be a gifted speaker! But, alas, people tend to go to sleep when I speak!  However, when I use music in ministry God blesses.

Max Lucado says that he loves to sing. “Singing for others would give me wonderful satisfaction. The problem is, it wouldn’t give the same satisfaction to my audience!”  My husband Kenneth also loves to sing. He says, “I was cut out to be a singer but I was sewed up wrong!”   Both of these men would love it if God would use them as musicians, however, God planned to use them in a different way. God has put into them an uncanny ability to lead and both are gifted speakers.

“In other words, be aware of your strengths. When you teach, do people listen? When you lead, do people follow? When you administer, do things improve? Where are you most productive?  Identify your strengths, and then…major in them…Failing to focus on our strengths may prevent us from accomplishing the unique tasks God has called us to do.”   (from Just Like Jesus by Max Lucado)

God does not expect us to have great training in order to use the gifts He has entrusted to us. Do you remember how God used Moses even though he stuttered and Timothy even though he was young?

Danny has repaired many a vehicle with his limited knowledge and experience and people were helped. I have prepared many a meal and people were blessed. Ask God to show you what He wants you to do in His Kingdom work. He will bless it.

No comments: