Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Purpose of the LORD

by Dr. A. Kerry Chadwick

     We plan many things in our lives. We plan what we are going to wear, where we are going to go, whom we are going to go with, and how we will get to or intended destination. My wife is a great planner. As soon as I mention I might be going somewhere she starts to plan my route and where I will stay, eat, and get gas. This kind of planning is very helpful. I married well. Fortunately, she is also flexible and does not melt down when plans change. She knows that if I make a plan it may very well change. Once when we were traveling we had to change our route unexpectedly. There was no complaining, she simply started a new plan.

     We can learn a valuable lesson from my wife; we can learn to take life in stride. When things happen that you have no control over you just roll with the flow. This does not mean that we neglect to plan. Few good things happen in life when we do not set goals and plan. One time I went on a trip without the benefit of my wife’s careful planning. The most notable event on the trip was staying in a negative five star hotel because of a convention.

     My mom and sister planned to lead a conference this week but due to flooding, they are stuck at a friend’s house. They are unable to go home and they were unable to lead the conference. They are also unable to write this week’s devotional because they do not have access to a computer.

     Plans change but our God is sovereign. God knows where you are and what you are facing. Trust Him with your plans and if they do not work out the way you thought, then ask God’s guidance and make a new plan. You may never arrive where you started out to go but you will arrive where God wants you.

“Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand."
- Proverbs 19:21 ESV



No comments: