Sunday, November 16, 2008

Come Thou Fount

by Barbara Chadwick

Come Thou fount of every blessing. Come gracious Father, the One who bestows every kind of blessing, come into my heart. Come into my life and help me to be pleasing to You.

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace. Praise bands tune their instruments before leading worship. Lord, would you tune my heart so my worship would be pleasing to Your ear? I know that attitude is key to worship. Glorious Lord tune my heart so I can hear Your voice. Tune my heart so I can be gracious to others. Tune my heart so when I speak, words of love and mercy come out of my mouth and not angry words or spiteful, stubborn or sarcastic words.

Streams of mercy, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise. Lamentations 3:23 says Your mercies never cease and they are new every morning. I do praise You, Lord and my praise bubbles over into singing.

Teach me some melodious sonnet, sung by flaming tongues above. I would like to learn a song that angels sing so that my praise would be appropriately. I cannot by myself think of words grand or eloquent enough to express such lofty thoughts.

Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it, mount of Thy redeeming love. Mount Calvary! Lord, how can we merit so great a salvation? I praise You for your grace and mercy to me, one who doesn’t deserve one drop of the blood You spilt for me.

Here I raise mine Ebenezer. Ebenezer – a stone of remembrance. I need something in my home or my life like an Ebenezer. I have my wedding ring to remember my wedding vows; my diploma to remember graduation from college; birth certificates to show the birth of four children. Some people have a picture of their baptism, some wall plaques to indicate to visitors where they have placed their faith. I have my Bible to show my allegiance to You, Lord. Is that enough? Do I carry it with me often enough? Is there something about me that when people see me they say, “There goes that lady who is a Christ follower”?

Hither by Thy help I’m come. So up to this point in my life You have been with me. You have guided, comforted and taught me through Your Word.

And I hope by Thy good pleasure safely to arrive at home. To be at home with You, Lord, what joy, what peace, what security. Glorious!

Jesus sought me when a stranger, wandering from the fold of God. He, to rescue me from danger, interposed His precious blood. It is very humbling, Lord, to think that You wanted me, that You were drawing me with cords of love even when I was far from You.

Oh, to grace how great a debtor daily I’m constrained to be! I owe my very days to You. My possessions, the air I breathe, where I am in this world belong to You.

Let Thy grace, Lord, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to Thee. Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it. Prone to leave the God I love. Fetter -s a chain or shackle. Would you bind Your grace and love around my heart and mind, Lord, like a shackle so that when I’m prone to wander from You it would pull me back into Your Presence?

Here’s my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above. Lord, I offer my heart. I want to put my life in Your hands. I ask You to take my self and seal it, bind it to You.

No comments: