Sunday, February 22, 2009

Leg Trying To Steal Bone

by Audrey Wauson

http://appraisercentral.com/LegTryingToStealBone.wmv

There is this hysterical video of a dog chewing on a bone while sitting in a chair. Then I guess his ear gets to itching and he raises his leg to scratch his ear … now here’s the funny part … suddenly this dog perceives his leg to be a threat to this bone he’s chewing on … like he starts growling and snarling at his foot! Suddenly he whips his head around and bites the offending leg. It is so funny! You keep wondering how is it that he doesn’t realize it’s his own foot … that he’s the one telling his foot to scratch his ear?

Equally funny are the times that you see babies trying to hold something and they’re shaking it all around and suddenly they get hit by their own hand are so indignant and hurt, but refuse to relinquish the offending spoon, cup, whatever.

We are so funny as well. We pick up some habit or behavior and we’re enjoying ourselves and then that habit or behavior … or our use of it suddenly smacks us in the face. And we cry out, argue, make a big fuss, but refuse to give it up. Have you heard these statements/questions? “Everyone else doing this doesn’t seem to be having a problem, so why can’t I?” Or “He has one I want one.” Or “If she can do it then so can I!”

What really strikes me about this whole analogy is the assumption that if I want to do it then it just follows that I’m mature enough, liberated enough, gifted enough to do it. The thing I rarely say myself or hear from others is: “I hope to be able to do that some day. But I’m not ready yet.” Or “I really admire how so-n-so does such-n-such. But that’s not what I’m gifted at.” Or “I’m really praying and working toward learning how to do this. Please be patient with me during this time.”

We beat ourselves up for things that just don’t make sense. God is so awesome. He gives us wonderful things to “chew” on, things to ponder and wonder at. Some of those things are happening in the lives of others around us: Things we hope to be able to do someday. Things that puzzle us and confuse us and cause us to run to Him with questions. God is in the process of making us to look like His Son.

“For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.” Romans 8:29

Life is a process. Life is a journey. I pray that you and I will be able to see God’s hand working in us where we are at and not worry and fret over some aspect of our lives (bad habits, past experiences, the worries of the day) that appear to be trying to “steal” something from us.

“And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?” Matthew 6:28-30

No comments: