Sunday, March 1, 2009

Heavenly Sunlight

by Barbara Chadwick

Day after day we had cloudy, snowy skies in Juneau, until this morning. I raised the blinds and I could hardly believe my eyes. The sun was shining! I stood at the kitchen sink drinking in the beautiful, brilliant sunshine streaming through the window. I remember singing the song, “Heavenly Sunlight” as a child. The words burst through my brain and heart especially the refrain.

Heavenly sunlight, heavenly sunlight, flooding my soul with glory divine.

Hallelujah, I am rejoicing, singing His praises, Jesus is mine.


The sunlight was glorious! It filled my heart with radiance. I felt lifted up.

When I turned around, though, I saw that the bright sunlight had exposed some grimy dirt on the top edge of some lower cabinet doors. Ugh! I grabbed a cloth to wipe it away before my friend came. As I wiped I thought about my life. My brain said, “Are there places in me that look this grimy to God?”

Working away, I prayed, “Lord, will You search me and show me the areas in my life that are grimy and need to be cleaned? Would You make it as clear to me as Your sunlight did revealing that dirt? I don’t want my life, the things I do and say, to be offensive, Lord. I want to sing Your praises. I want my life to reflect Your glory. Lead me in Your way. Amen”

Psalm 139:23
Search me, O God, and know my heart
Test me and know my anxious thoughts
See if there is any offensive way in me
And lead me in the way everlasting

No comments: