Saturday, April 11, 2009

Because Friends Are Worth It!


This morning a good friend called to apologize. We’d been at her house last night to celebrate the Passover (Messianic style) and things got hectic and she got upset and was a little snippy … feelings were getting dangerously close to being really hurt. But then we both decided to just enjoy the evening and not let it get to us.

Anyways, she said that earlier in the day, she was trying to set things up for the Seder outside on her front patio. The wind was really gusting. Then she’d walk into the house and everything was really calm and peaceful and then back outside and it was gusty and aggravating.

Well this morning she realized that God was showing her another way that He can speak to us. In the past she always knew that God was speaking to her about something because she had a peace in her heart but yesterday God spoke to her in an outward way … He spoke through a physical feeling of peace. There was a peace in the house and there definitely was not a peaceful feeling outside. But she just pushed through because she had a plan and she knew what she wanted. In the end we had to move everything inside anyways, because the wind was knocking over the vases. That was when things got short. I just jumped in and started moving things and she hadn’t made the decision to actually move inside yet and looks were exchanged and muttered words … well, you know the rest. If you’re any age at all you’ve experienced something similar … just fill in the blanks.

Well, this morning God woke me up talking to me about being willing to take a hit for someone else. Because I’m not usually willing to just cover for someone or to take some pain just so that someone else will feel better or whatever. Then He reminded about how willing I am/was to jump in and save my kids from pain or to save my parents from embarrassment. But I’m not so easy/willing to jump in and do the same thing for friends or even for my husband … he should be willing to do that for me … right? But isn’t that what Jesus did for me? Isn’t that what He still does for me?

The really cool thing was that God spoke to two different women about loving each other and caring for one another. To my friend He let her know that she needed to apologize for being snippy. To me He let me know that I needed to be more sensitive and ready to forgive: Because love covers a multitude of sins. Because Someone forgave us once and is still forgiving us. Because friends are worth it.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Hey Audrey - This was good. It reminded me of the study we just finished here - Celebrating Friendship. There was a week where we learned about Hugs and Swift Kicks - how we need to not only be willing to give but also to receive swift kicks as well as the hugs of friendship.

audrey said...

That sounds like a study that my group might like. Is it a DVD or workbook or what? And where did you get it from?