Sunday, April 5, 2009

Garbage

by Barbara Chadwick


Yesterday morning, a policewoman rang the doorbell. I had just poured the softened yeast into the mixture of a beautiful new recipe. So I run to the door.

"Ma'am" she says, "the ravens have taken the lid off your garbage can and scattered the trash. Here in Juneau we enforce the trash ordinance. You have to get a bungee cord for your lid. The garbage truck is just down the street and you have to pick up your scattered trash before he gets here." I look down the street and sure enough he looks too close. I look out at the curb then back at her and swallow and say, "Yes, ma'am, thank you."

Frustration, or could there be another word! My new recipe. The yeast!

As she walks off I close the door and run to grab my boots because there's snow on the ground. Then I run out the door to try to beat the garbage man. Half the can is strewn around everywhere. Mad. I am mad! I'm picking up all this stinky garbage and the thought comes to me that the ravens brought food to Elijah to sustain him. I always thought that was beautiful until now. It's too much for one person to get before the trash truck gets here so I run in to call Kenneth for help. He's at the church studyingfor Sunday's sermon.

Finally, I get back in the kitchen and finish mixing the dough. Then I knead it. Knead it? I pounded it! When it was set in the bowl to rise I sat down at the table and ate a whole brownie. Was it just yesterday that I was trying to get dressed and had to put on three pairs of pants before I found one that fit? I made a firm decision then to go on a diet. HOWEVER, if you're mad at ravens chocolate would surely help. Right?

As I was sitting there the sun came out! In Juneau that's a major thing. It felt like God did it just for me - and I began thinking - I thanked God that He has provided enough for us that we had two cans of trash. I think of all the places around the world where they have very little daily trash.

And I asked God to give me grace. This anger I felt was not graceful nor was it honoring to God.

Then I asked Him to help me be a better steward of the resources He has blessed us with.

For the LORD God is a sun and shield. The LORD gives grace and glory; He does not withhold the good from those who live with integrity. (Psa 84:11)

No comments: