Wednesday, August 18, 2010

If We Do Not Give Up!


I can honestly say that I never really liked to exercise. It is hot and sweaty, I never really felt good when I got done, and it didn’t seem to make any difference. So, I just didn’t … exercise that is … until recently.

I have a friend who goes to the gym religiously and I had been watching her. She always has a lot of energy and she looks great. Then in the small group at our church two women have had to have knee surgeries and I know a couple of others outside of our group who’ve had knee troubles. So when I was out walking my dog and took a turn a bit sharply and my knee twinged and I thought, “Oh no, I’m old! My knees are giving out and I’m in my early 50’s! What am I going to do?” The answer was obvious … I was going to have to exercise. Ick! Or so I thought.

I joined a gym. I joined the first of June and went every day religiously for two months. Unbelievably, I found out several things about myself. First: I LOVE Zumba … it’s a kind of dance/exercise class. Unfortunately, my knees are not ready for Zumba. After three weeks I was forced to try out some of the other classes. I tried the yoga class … ick. I’m not a yoga person. I tried a cardio-kick class … ick X’s 2 … too much like trying to be the Karate Kid. But I found that I liked the Step class and Cardio Sculpt class. So, I went there for the rest of the summer. I enjoyed going to the classes because: there were other women to talk to and commiserate with; the music and the instructor kept pushing me to continue just a bit more; and when the class was over …. Well in about 30 minutes … I felt great! Like seriously, I felt better. Now my clothes fit better, I have more energy, and I enjoy the rush of being successful at something that I formerly was NOT successful at.

The Christian walk … or as the early Christians calledl it … The Way … is a bit like that sometimes. Sometimes it’s hard to see the benefit or profit in what you’re asked to do … loving others, serving others, self-sacrifice, self-discipline, fasting, praying, considering others as better than yourself … but if you persist, if you find a group of people to do it with, if you don’t give up … you WILL reap a reward … and it WILL be worth it!

It will be worth it all when we see Jesus

One smile of His dear face all sorrows will erase

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time We Will Reap A Harvest IF WE DO NOT GIVE UP. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. Galations 6:7-10

No comments: