Saturday, August 14, 2010


The Purse

by Barbara Chadwick




I almost bought a purse this afternoon.

My granddaughter, Abigail, was trying on some clothes for school so I was walking around and behold there was the neatest purse! I picked it up to check if it had enough pockets for all the things I have to carry!

You know, Kleenex, 3 shades of lipstick, a notebook (in case I think of something incredible to write!) my calendar, cell phone, 2 pens and a pencil, a zippered pouch for loose change, one side for make-up and one side for cough drops, gum and Gas X, and a place for my keys. Only the essentials.

I take it with me at all times just like the mother on Golden Girls (Well, actually, I don't carry it to the living room like she did.)

Anyway, so here I am, in the purses, waiting for Abigail. I am enthralled with this purse. So I put it in the cart and start to move away - but wait - here's a different one. It might even be more sassy. I examine it, put it back and note where it is in case it might really be the one.

But lest I go away and actually miss the right one, I begin to look at all of them. I put a couple more into the cart (to be able to make an intelligent decision.) It has now been about 45 minutes since I saw the first purse.

I reach for a kleenex and my eyes see my old purse. I bought it in March. It still looks nice. There are no smudges or scratches. It is not discolored. It has not lost it's shape. In fact, it looks good. I like it.

I begin to put the purses back on the shelf.

I start thinking about why I wanted to buy a purse in the first place. Oh yeah, because it caught my eye and I do have that gift certificate from my birthday.

Jesus said, Don't collect for youselves treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But collect for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth... Matthew 6:19-20

OK. I don't think moths or rust will destroy a new purse and probably thieves wouldn't break in to steal it. However, it also is not a treasure for heaven. Kenneth will not put it in the casket with me!

In verse 28 He says, Why do you worry about clothes? (or purses to carry) Ouch!

Verse 31, So, don't worry saying...What will we wear (or carry?) ... Seek first the kingdom of God and His Righteousness...

I don't think the Lord cares what purse I carry but I know He wants First Place in my heart. And that's what I really want - for Jesus to have First Place in my heart and in my thoughts.

No comments: