Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Progress of One Pilgrim


Re-reading Pilgrim’s Progress has been so inspiring for me this time around. Not sure why, but perhaps I’m just relating more closely to this particular Pilgrim’s progress J For example: Christian and Hopeful made it through Vanity Fair and though they lost their dear friend Faithful (he was killed by the people in town) they are encouraged in their desire to be more faithful. They arrive at Pleasant Meadows and are so refreshed, it’s been such a long time since they were really able to relax.

But when they leave Pleasant Meadows they find that the going is really rough. And just outside The Way … I mean it’s so close that they had difficulty telling which way they should go … they saw this other path that was running parallel to The Way and Christian is like “Look, this path is so much easier and we can still see The Way and it’s going the same way. When it veer’s off we’ll just get back on The Way.” So what could be wrong with that? The problem? Well they got to focusing on the pleasantness of their walk and soon they lost sight of The Way and when they stopped to rest they fell asleep and they awoke to Giant Despair poking them and he took them off to Doubting Castle.

My husband and I have traveled quite a bit. We’ve lived in England, Panama, California (Oh wait that’s part of the US J We’ve lived in Alaska, California, New Mexico, Texas, Utah. We (one or both of us) have traveled from Washington State to Washington D.C. and 20+ states in between as well as out of country to: France, Turkey, Mexico, Canada, Nicaragua, Honduras, and Ecuador. And in all our travels, I have never seen a map as straight at the map of Pilgrim’s Progress.

As I was reading this, it was brought back to my mind the number of times that I’ve just done something that was “easier”, “quicker”, a “short-cut” and found myself feeling so lost & alone, full of doubts & despair. And just like Christian, when I remembered that I had a key to get out of that dungeon I found that the key opened all the locks and I got free!

The Key? The promises of God. Here’s the difference between faith and religion. Faith doesn’t see how it will work, doesn’t really care. Faith knows that there’s hope and it believes. That belief is not a “head” knowledge but an action verb. Faith is NOT a noun; it’s a verb. If faith is not acted on, then it’s not faith … it’s religion. Pilgrim acted on his faith, claimed the promises of God and was freed from Doubting Castle and from the cruel hand of Giant Despair.

Today, I claim the promise of 1 John 1:9 “… if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.” (NLT)

What promises do you need to claim today?

No comments: