Sunday, December 1, 2013

A SONG IN YOUR HEART

by Barbara Chadwick





The character, Stephanie, in the movie Let It Snow said, “I don’t know the words to a single Christmas carol.”  Her mother died when she was six and her father quit celebrating Christmas. Of course, that was just a movie but the sad thing is that there are so many people in the world who race through life and don’t stop to hear or sing the music. Music speaks to the heart in a very special way.

On Thanksgiving day we were with extended family and friends.  We had an abundance of food and, of course, family stories. Kenneth’s niece remembered that her father’s mother had Alzheimer’s and couldn’t remember much but one holiday the oldest daughter suggested to the mother that she play the organ. The mother went to the organ and played hymns that she had sung all her life. Most of the family didn’t even know she could play because her husband had sold her organ when times were tough and she never played after that. She had never forgiven him.

I told them about my aunt, Nellie, who had Alzheimer’s and didn’t even know her sisters. But one day when my own sisters and I took my mother to visit Nellie, we began to sing hymns. Nellie sang all the words with a smile on her face.  I watched with tears streaming down my face.

The music stayed in the minds of these two women because it was a part of the heart and soul. God put it there. From the time we’re in the womb we respond to music.

God put a song in our hearts. The Psalmist, David, said often: Sing a new song to him, play the harp with skill, and shout for joy! Psalm 33:3


By the way, at the end of the movie Stephanie tells her dad, “I love singing Christmas carols.”

No comments: